The success of the Varkey Foundation’s US $1M Global Teacher Prize, now celebrating its third year of success, has inspired National Teacher Prizes in over 20 nations. Colombia was the first country to start its own prize, with the backing and support of the Varkey Foundation. And since the [...]
Terms and Conditions
Varkey Foundation Global #TeacherPrize
Terms and Conditions
By participating in this contest (“Contest“), each person who applies or is nominated (“Applicant”) accepts and agrees to be bound by the following terms and conditions:
The Varkey Foundation (“VF”) is launching a US$1,000,000 Global Teacher Prize (“Prize”) to recognize the importance of the teaching profession and promote excellence in teaching. The Prize will be awarded under the patronage of His Highness Sheikh Mohammad Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, UAE Vice President and Prime Minister, Ruler of Dubai. Submissions may be made between 17 March 2014 and 12 October 2014. The winner will be announced during the Global Education and Skills Forum 2015. The selection process will be audited by PriceWaterhouseCoopers.
2. Eligibility: To be eligible, an Applicant must:
- be at least eighteen (18) years old at time of entry;
- teach or provide educational support to students between the ages of 5 and 18 in a school setting;
- not be prohibited from participating in the Contest or receiving the Prize under applicable law;
- not have a criminal record;
- not have conducted themselves (by act or omission) in such a way as to bring the teaching profession or VF, its affiliates, or their respective directors, officers, employees, agents, and subsidiaries (“VF Parties”) into disrepute (as may be determined at the sole discretion of VF);
- not be a previous Prize winner; and
- not be an employee or consultant of the Varkey Foundation Group of companies, or an immediate family member of such employee or consultant.
3. How to enter:
To enter, complete the application form and follow the instructions on the website www.globalteacherprize.com.
4. Selection Criteria:
The judges will evaluate Applications based on the following criteria:
- innovative and effective instructional practices and student learning outcomes in the classroom and school;
- accomplishments beyond the classroom that provide role models for the teaching profession – whether through charitable or community work, or through sporting, academic or cultural achievement;
- contributions to public debates on raising the bar of the teaching profession, whether through writing articles, blogs, take part in media and social media campaigns, events or conferences;
- sharing inspirational education practices with other teachers;
- preparing children to be global citizens in a world where they will encounter people from many different religions, cultures and nationalities;
- improving access to a quality education for children of all backgrounds;
- third party recognition of a teacher’s achievements in the classroom and beyond. This can include pupils, colleagues, head-teacher as well as members of the wider community –including government, faith organizations and business. Supporting written and/or video testimonials should be provided; and
- encouraging others to join the teaching profession.
5. Selection Process:
The first committee of judges (“Prize Committee”) will meet in October 2014 to select ten finalists. A final panel of judges will then select the winner, subject to additional screening, background and reference checks.
- The Prize will be paid in equal annual installments over a period of ten (10) years.
- During this ten (10) year period, the winner shall not conduct themselves (by act or omission) in such a way as to bring the teaching profession or any of the VF Parties into disrepute (as may be determined at the sole discretion of VF).
- The winner must attend financial counseling sessions provided free-of-charge by VF.
- For a period of five (5) years after the awarding of the Prize to the winner, the winner must: (i) continue to teach or provide educational support to students between the ages of 5 and 18 in a school setting and (ii) serve as Global Ambassador for VF. Serving as Global Ambassador for VF shall include but not be limited to attending events, speaking to the media, undertaking training and other commitments outside of working hours, on weekends and/or on holidays. VF will pay for and arrange all travel and accommodation.
7. Conditions and Limitations:
- Limit one application per Applicant.
- Applicants who do not win will not receive notification. Entries will not be returned.
- Applicants will not be reimbursed for any costs incurred in connection with submitting the Application.
- VF is not responsible for lost, late, or misdirected entries.
- Upon submission, Applicants grant VF a non-exclusive, irrevocable, royalty-free and worldwide license to use and modify the Application, in whole or in part, for commercial and other purposes, without any payment or other consideration, for use in any media now known or hereafter discovered, in perpetuity, to the extent legally permissible.
- By entering this Contest, each Applicant forever discharges and releases the VF Parties from any and all liability, claims, causes of action, suits, and demands of any kind (“Claims”) arising from or in connection with the Contest. Applicant also indemnifies the VF Parties from all Claims arising from third parties in relation to Applicant’s participation in this Contest or the breach of any of these Terms and Conditions by the Applicant.
- Applicants represent that they have: (i) all intellectual property rights to all of the content of their Application materials and (ii) the authority to submit these materials and to grant the license described herein. Applicants shall fully indemnify the VF Parties for all third party Claims arising directly or indirectly from breach of this representation.
- Applicants agree to the use of their name and likeness in publicity without notice or any additional compensation, except where prohibited by law. The winner acknowledges that VF has the right to publicize and broadcast the winner’s name, voice, and likeness, the fact that they won, and all matters incidental thereto. VF is not obligated to attribute an Application to the Applicant who submitted it.
- At VF’s discretion, Applicant may be required to provide proof of compliance with any of these Terms and Conditions.
- Winners will be solely responsible for any and all taxes incurred by their participation in the contest. VF will report or withhold any individual winnings in accordance with applicable law.
- VF reserves the right to terminate the Contest without awarding the Prize if no eligible winner claims the Prize within the required time.
- Notwithstanding any other provision of these Terms and Conditions, VF reserves the right to: (i) desist from paying any and all Prize money and/or (ii) require the winner to return any Prize money already disbursed if, at any point after the award of the Prize to the winner, it is discovered that: (x) any of the Application material was false or misleading in any way, (y) the winner was not in fact eligible or (z) that any of these Terms and Conditions have otherwise been breached.
- These Terms and Conditions are subject to modification by VF in its sole discretion.
- This Contest is void where prohibited or restricted by law. Each of these Terms and Conditions is subject to applicable law.
- This Contest and these Terms and Conditions shall be governed by the laws of England and Wales, without regard to any conflicts of law principles. Any and all claims or disputes arising out of or in connection with this Contest or these Terms and Conditions shall be subject to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of English courts.
From the Blog
In one of the world’s most remote regions, surrounded by snow and ice, Maggie McDonnell is changing the lives of her students and transforming her community. The winner of the Global Teacher Prize Winner 2017 lives and works in Salluit, an Inuit village deep in the Canadian Arctic. The [...]
We’ve all had teachers who have inspired us, who have made a difference to our lives. Teachers have the power to make or break lives. A great lesson can inspire a passion for a subject that lasts a lifetime, while lacklustre teaching can kill any desire for learning. Teachers who make a [...]