Dean of the Harvard Graduate School of Education Jim Ryan just ran the Boston Marathon, dedicating each mile to 26 different teachers. As a professor who specializes in how the law influences education and opportunity, he is a champion for innovative teachers! I will be running this year’s [...]
Originally posted in the Washington Post by Valerie Strauss. Nancie Atwell is the renowned founder of the Center for Teaching and Learning, an award-winning non-profit independent K-12 demonstration school in Edgecomb, Maine, where she teaches seventh- and eighth-grade writing, reading and [...]
Hillary Clinton spoke at the Global Teacher Prize winner ceremony about the importance of education and teachers in building a better and more hopeful future. "Without quality teachers, there is no quality education," she said. We are glad that important leaders like Hillary Clinton agree that [...]
Applications for the 2015 Prize are now closed.
Applicants of the prestigious Global Teacher Prize will be judged based on a rigorous set of criteria aimed to identify an extraordinary teacher who has made an outstanding contribution to the profession. The Academy will look for evidence of:
- Recognition of a teacher's achievements in the classroom and beyond from pupils, colleagues, head-teachers or members of the wider community.
- Preparing children to be global citizens in a world where they will encounter people from many different religions, cultures and nationalities.
- Employing innovative and effective instructional practices and achieving demonstrable student learning outcomes in the classroom.
- Developing and sharing innovative thought leadership that has improved access to quality teaching and education for children of all backgrounds.
- Contributing to public debates on raising the bar of the teaching profession, whether through writing articles, blogs, media participation, social media campaigns, events or conferences.
- Accomplishments beyond the classroom that provide unique and distinguished models of excellence for the teaching profession.
- Encouraging others to join the teaching profession.
THE GLOBAL TEACHER PRIZE ACADEMY
Applications will be judged by the Global Teacher Prize Academy
The winner will be chosen by the prominent Global Teacher Prize Academy made up of head-teachers, educational experts, commentators, journalists, public officials, tech entrepreneurs, company directors and scientists from around the world.
The Global Teacher Prize is brought to you by Varkey Foundation.
To learn more about Varkey Foundation, please visit www.varkeyfoundation.org