The scene is more reminiscent of a Strictly Come Dancing set than a science classroom. The pupils, all A-level biology students, are bopping around to the strains of Michael Jackson’s “Blame It On The Boogie” with their teacher as dance master. The song has been renamed the “DNA Boogie” [...]
Azizullah Royesh is a teacher at Marefat High School in Kabul, Afghanistan. He teaches courses on civic education, humanism, Quranic interpretation, Dari and English. He is currently one of 10 finalists for the Global Teacher Prize. I left school when I was 10. Soviet troops invaded Kabul [...]
Naomi Volain prides herself on teaching in a hands-on and highly-visual way. As a NASA certified educator she’s got a lot to show her class including Lunar and Meteorite samples! This innovative approach inspires and sparks interest in the minds of her students. Naomi is not [...]
Applications for the 2015 Prize are now closed.
Applicants of the prestigious Global Teacher Prize will be judged based on a rigorous set of criteria aimed to identify an extraordinary teacher who has made an outstanding contribution to the profession. The Academy will look for evidence of:
- Recognition of a teacher's achievements in the classroom and beyond from pupils, colleagues, head-teachers or members of the wider community.
- Preparing children to be global citizens in a world where they will encounter people from many different religions, cultures and nationalities.
- Employing innovative and effective instructional practices and achieving demonstrable student learning outcomes in the classroom.
- Developing and sharing innovative thought leadership that has improved access to quality teaching and education for children of all backgrounds.
- Contributing to public debates on raising the bar of the teaching profession, whether through writing articles, blogs, media participation, social media campaigns, events or conferences.
- Accomplishments beyond the classroom that provide unique and distinguished models of excellence for the teaching profession.
- Encouraging others to join the teaching profession.
THE GLOBAL TEACHER PRIZE ACADEMY
Applications will be judged by the Global Teacher Prize Academy
The winner will be chosen by the prominent Global Teacher Prize Academy made up of head-teachers, educational experts, commentators, journalists, public officials, tech entrepreneurs, company directors and scientists from around the world.
The Global Teacher Prize is brought to you by Varkey Foundation.
To learn more about Varkey Foundation, please visit www.varkeyfoundation.org