Foot Soldier of the Week! Melissa Harris-Perry of MSNBC interviewed Global Teacher Prize winner Nancie Atwell over the weekend, naming Nancie as the foot soldier of the week. The topic of discussion was Nancie's decision to give her $1 million award to her school, the Center for Teaching and [...]
By Mark Reid
In the months since being named to an impressive list of Top 50 Finalists, I’ve thirsted for the opportunity to be in the room with Top 50 colleagues. Online I could see the joy and engagement of colleagues who attended the Global Education and Skills Forum in Dubai and found myself even more [...]
Nancie Atwell gave a heart warming thank you speech after winning the Global Teacher Award. She thanked the academy and the supporters and creator of the award. But most of all she shared what a privilege it is to teach and about the kind of environment that she believes children should study [...]
Applications for the 2015 Prize are now closed.
Applicants of the prestigious Global Teacher Prize will be judged based on a rigorous set of criteria aimed to identify an extraordinary teacher who has made an outstanding contribution to the profession. The Academy will look for evidence of:
- Recognition of a teacher's achievements in the classroom and beyond from pupils, colleagues, head-teachers or members of the wider community.
- Preparing children to be global citizens in a world where they will encounter people from many different religions, cultures and nationalities.
- Employing innovative and effective instructional practices and achieving demonstrable student learning outcomes in the classroom.
- Developing and sharing innovative thought leadership that has improved access to quality teaching and education for children of all backgrounds.
- Contributing to public debates on raising the bar of the teaching profession, whether through writing articles, blogs, media participation, social media campaigns, events or conferences.
- Accomplishments beyond the classroom that provide unique and distinguished models of excellence for the teaching profession.
- Encouraging others to join the teaching profession.
THE GLOBAL TEACHER PRIZE ACADEMY
Applications will be judged by the Global Teacher Prize Academy
The winner will be chosen by the prominent Global Teacher Prize Academy made up of head-teachers, educational experts, commentators, journalists, public officials, tech entrepreneurs, company directors and scientists from around the world.
The Global Teacher Prize is brought to you by Varkey Foundation.
To learn more about Varkey Foundation, please visit www.varkeyfoundation.org